Think of this club as your entry point into the world of journalism and media. Get together with other students in Arlington to share your ideas and works in progress, and participate in workshops on finding stories, interviewing, podcasting, mobile video production, fact checking, editing, journalism ethics, and more! Further down the road, we hope to offer Q&As with working journalists and site visits to places like NPR and the Washington Post. All Arlington students ages 14-19 are invited. No journalism experience needed, newcomers welcome.
Meetings are typically held on the first Monday of the month during the school year. If you’d like to join us, reach out to [email protected].
● Youth ages 14-19 who live in Arlington
● By application only
● Interest in news media (online, audio, video) and local issues and stories. Journalism or media experience not required
● Able to meet in person for all classes throughout the program at the Arlington Cultural Affairs Building (Green Valley)
● We are specifically looking to build a diverse fellowship cohort that represents ALL of Arlington. We encourage teens of all backgrounds, identities, genders, and cultures to apply. (We define diversity broadly–think language/cultural/racial diversity, but also economic diversity, gender and neurodiversity, or even an unconventional life experience.) Special priority will be given to students from communities who have historically been underserved or underrepresented by mainstream media, who speak a language other than English at home, or whose families were displaced from Green Valley or Halls Hill
● A number of stipends are available to students for whom payment would remove a financial barrier to participation. If you;d like to learn more about that, please don’t hesitate to reach out to [email protected].
Successful graduates of the YJI Intensive programs are invited to pitch stories to The Arlington Amp, AIM’s new student-led multimedia hub for local news,* and to be paid for their published work. Editorial meetings typically take place on Fridays from 4:30-6:30. If you’d like to learn more or sit in with us, please reach out to [email protected].